Saturday, September 8, 2012

Why Turkey?

Several people have asked me why we chose Turkey for our first trip after Norbert's retirement

There are many reasons. 

The friendliness of the Turkish people is legendary.

Istanbul is the only city in the world that spans two continents.




The fact that it has a good public transportation system is important to me both as a way to mix with local people going about their lives, and to make exploration easy.

Turkey played a significant role in the early days of Christianity when Paul visited Ephesus and Cappodocia.  Cappodocia is full of unimaginable caves, some even containing large churches.  This is a place Christians and then other groups hid when they were being persecuted. Now even many hotels are in these caves.  There is a house in Ephesus where Mary is believed to have lived.

It is a Muslim country and most of us know so little about Islam. I wanted to see and hear and meet Muslims of a similar  spectrum to that we experience of Christians  here.  I grew up hearing church bells ring throughout my city.   Until last summer I lived near a church whose bells rang each quarter hour. Now we have a beautiful Mosque in Boston that is not allowed to have the call to prayer heard outside the Mosque.   In Istanbul I will hear it all over the city as i hear church bells here.  These are my sisters and brothers and i want to meet them in their daily lives.

When I visit a new country I always expect to be amazed.  I am expectant but don't know ahead what will prove to be most significant for me.  I try to go with open mind and heart.






Istanbul - formerly Constantinople - before that Byzantium - these names reflect it's rich history.

For a brief history see  http://geography.about.com/od/specificplacesofinterest/a/istanbul.htm
______________











No comments:

Post a Comment