Monday, September 24, 2012

Mosques


The mosque is the center of social life.   I had a long and wide ranging conversation with our hotel owner in Goreme.   I asked about the lack of homelessness and obvious poverty.  He said Istanbul has built many housing units for the homeless.   He did say that there are the chronically homeless who do not wish to be housed.   

He said in the smaller towns, if someone has a need it is made known at the Mosque which he said is the only place people regularly see each other.  Word is given if someone is ill, needs food,  etc and the community either takes care of them or arranges for their care.

Like churches, mosques come in many sizes and architectures.  There are only 2 in Turkey with 6 minarets - the Blue Mosque and another I am told is not historical .






















Black mark on minaret is decal on bus window




No comments:

Post a Comment